7.18.2011

The Creeping Creeper Creeps Creepily

Stats.

Y'know, percentages and numbers and math.  That total load of rubbish.  Here's how to make it really cool.

Blog + stats = really cool.

That's right.  I'm talking blog stats.

Now honestly, it's never been something I was obsessed with, by any means.  If I wanted thousands of people looking at my blog daily, I wouldn't be gabbing about myself.  I'd be talking about books or how to get rich quick or, I dunno, talking about the things people actually want to hear.

I don't.  It's not the numbers I'm after.  I'm just curious to see which blog posts are the most popular, which pages people visit the most, where everyone is coming from that looks at this blog.

That's right.  I know where you live.

What country, anyway.  I've had visitors from Canada, Russia, the UK, Germany, Ukraine, France, Denmark, South Africa, Latvia, Switzerland, Taiwan, Italy, Turkey, India, Saudi Arabia, Moldova, and, of course, most are from the US.

I can see entry links to see how you got to my site.  Most are referrals from Facebook, or random friends who follow my blog and get to it from an email update or their Blogger homepage.  I love it when Google brings people to my blog, especially when they've Googled "harmonica tabs adios amigo".  That little gem was just this week.

I can say that my posts are generally getting more views as time goes on.  The most viewed post at the moment is Imaginary Boyfriend, which I actually thought was one of my more boring posts.  Dunno how it beat the one where I give you short stories, or my one attempt at a vlog.  I thought those were much more interesting.  My most recent post is the third most popular of all time on this blog.

I love that people are Googling "a teenage anglophile's blog" and "happy friday from charlie brown" and getting my blog.  It means that, either they read it and remembered that one bit, so that's what they googled to find me again later, or that there are some cool people out there that want a Happy Friday from Charlie Brown.

"Happy Frid- uh, I mean Monday!"

I love that I know that last month was my best month yet as far as views go, and this month is on it's way to topping that.

However, I just love all of the different countries.  I try to figure out how people from those countries got to my blog, what they were googling.  I know, for instance, my picture of Ghanaian children brought in a few Googlers, if only for a few seconds.  (That post is here.)  I know that a lot of my Russian viewers probably came because of the Russian word I used in this post.

It's amazing to me that I can reach all of these different countries, even if they're not reading my blog.  Just the fact that they googled something and my blog came up and they clicked it and saw it kind of blows my mind.  I never thought that what I say could literally be accessed around the world.

It makes me want to be interesting, but with such a lack of feedback I have no idea what to do.  I hate it when I post boring things and then have to wait a few days to make up for it.

Oh, secret blogging fact.  I post every 3 or 4 days, never earlier.  Sometimes later.  I do it even when I have things to say because I wanted to keep some sort of manageable posting schedule.  So, when I'm being good you can expect a post within that time frame.

I lovelovelove comments.  I wish I had an interesting enough life that I could be certain that 85% of my viewers weren't Google crawling for a picture I posted or a certain word.  Alas, I don't think anyone's life is that interesting.  Except for James Bond, various superheroes, and any character played by Matt Damon in a film.  I wish people would comment more.  (There's your cue, friends who actually read my posts.)

It was time for a picture and I had this just sitting around, waiting to be used.   I give you Single Ladies, Harry Potter style.
I hope you check in on the Music and Okeanos pages every once in a while.  I do update them.  I've updated them both recently, actually, and added a FB commenting section to Okeanos.  It's really dandy and I hope ya'll use it eventually.

If you're from a foreign country, hi!  Hola!  Salut!   السّلام عليكم!  Kaixo!  Wai!   你好!  Hej!  Terve!  Dia duit! Tag!  Namaste!  Γεια σου!  नमस्ते!  Hæ!  Ciào!  こんにちは!  Malo!  Kumusta ka?  Sanibonani.

And now, to watch everyone roll in, be unimpressed, and leave immediately.

TCHAO, MES AMIS!


(Also, I'm going to the beach on Wednesday for the first time in over a year.  I'M SO EXCITED.)


Cape May!  Idk if that's where I'm going.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle loves Dain's blog. Ze end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you SO QUICK, Meesha? Goodness gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl. how the HECK have you been home all this time and not hit up the beach. I will be home in like two weeks. and we are going. because your lack of beach ness is sad and i really need to go. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'VE THE COMMENTING SKILLS OF A...SOMETHING.

    (Actually, I just happened to click on Facebook right as you posted this because it was the first thing on my news feed.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...