8.04.2011

Congratulations, You Are Magical

I've done it.  Done the exact thing I said I wouldn't do just a few weeks ago.

I've gone and joined Pottermore.

Actually, what I've really done is set my alarm for 6:04am, put my laptop next to me on the bed before I went to sleep.  Then I woke up, immediately opened up the laptop and went to the Pottermore website.  I read the clue (“In the Gryffindor versus Slytherin Quidditch match, in Harry’s third year, how many points is Gryffindor leading by before Harry catches the Golden Snitch? Multiply this number by 35.”) then I Googled the brains out of that question.  I found my answer (60), multiplied it by 35, and added that number to the end of the magical quill URL.


If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Pottermore is a website set up by JK Rowling and Sony Entertainment.  It doesn't officially go live until October, but she's done a challenge/contest to find 1 million beta testers for the site.


What's the site, you ask?
Pottermore is a unique online reading experience created by J.K. Rowling and built around the Harry Potter books. Share and participate in the stories, showcase your own Potter-related creativity, and discover additional information about the world of Harry Potter from the author herself.
That's right.  Another way for Jo to have the Harry Potter limelight resting on her for just a little bit longer.  Her refusal to let the series go the way of other great novels and films.  That's why I was contrary to the idea at first.

Then word comes around of this challenge she has to find testers for the Beta site.  She posts a clue from each book, once per day, and the clue is open for the solving until she reaches the allotted number of registrations per day.  Yesterday, when I did it, it was open for less than an hour.

As much as I may not agree with the whole idea of Pottermore, waking up at 6am to get a Beta site membership was worth it when I got to see this:


I already told you about how I waited for my letter from Hogwarts when I was eleven.  It was one of the most disappointing things in my young life when I realized that it wasn't coming and I was forever doomed to be a Muggle.

Well, not anymore.  I am now listed among the likes of Harry, Luna, Neville, Ginny, and The Twins.  I couldn't ask for better company.  A childhood dream finally accomplished.

Those four words would have made my life at eleven years old.  Congratulations, you are magical.  In fact, they still do right now, as a nineteen-nearly-twenty year old who hasn't even seen the last movie yet.

It got me thinking, though.  Not about Harry Potter, not about my childhood, not about JKR's frustrating attempts to keep her ridiculously successful novel series alive, or the fact that she suckered me into it.

No, I'm thinking about three words.  
And they're not I love you.

You are magical.

How often have you been told something like that?  Not, oh you're so funny, or you're such a good _____. Not even I love you.

You are magical.

You.  Are.  Magical.

How would your life have changed if, from your first breath, you were told that you were magical?  You would have no choice but to believe in yourself.

Think of all the kids who deserve to hear that, who deserve to hear You are magical, I love you, but they don't.  

You know what?  You are magical.  It doesn't matter if you woke up at 6am like I did so that you could get into Pottermore, or if you've had straight A's in school your whole life.  I believe completely that you are a magical human being.

You're magical because you are completely unique.  Nobody else has all of the same freckles, the same eyelashes, the same thoughts.  You are you, and you're the only one who can ever be that.  You are a conglomeration of people and things and experiences, and you are the only one who has experienced them all.  

You're magical because of the things you create.  I believe in creation, as you know.  Create what you can, when you can.  Give the gift of form and ingenuity to wood, words, or food.  Gussy it up.  Share it with the people you care about.  Create often.  Explore your incredible capacity for making something out of something else.

You're magical not because you know all of the spells or have the right broomstick, but because you've seen amazing things and have good friends.  You're magical because of the love you have for people, places, and things.

You are magical.  Isn't it amazing?  Don't get yourself down, or tell me that I'm wrong.  I'm not.  I don't want to hear it.  I may not always be right, but I am now.  You're magical.  Admit it.  Accept it.

Live it.  When you come up to an obstacle in life, keep your magic in mind.  Say "there's no way this stupid obstacle can stop me.  I'm magical!"  Start the day off with a smile, because you can do anything you put your mind to.  Maybe not right now, maybe not even by next week, but with determination and a little bit of magic, you'll get through it or to it.  I believe in you.

Believe in you.  Believe in fairies.  Believe in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  Believe whatever you want to.  As long as you know that you are magical, the rest falls into place.

So, off with ye.  Go conquer the world.  Use your magic wisely.  Do the things that you've always wanted to. Slide-tackle your fear and take it out.  Slam it into the turf for good measure.  You know what?  Wingardium Leviosa that jerk onto a stadium light, and don't let it down.

Congratulations, you are magical.

Nimbus Racing Broom Co., Official Sponsor of the Quidditch World Cup
P.S.  Have updated music, Okeanos, and added a new page (a picture of the day type thing).  CHECK 'EM OUT! 

4 comments:

  1. Everything about this post is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy. This post gave me shivers. I'm not even joking. I know I typically have something witty to add, but that's all I have. SHIVERS.

    But this does remind me of something from when I was a kid. My mom bought me this personalized book as a Christmas gift. It was a picture book about Santa Claus but I was a character. I went around with him while he delivered gifts. It had my name in it and everything. I cherished it because whenever I read it, I felt like I was a part of something magical. I actually still have that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dain, you are magical. And so is this blog post.
    Absolutely perfect.
    *Applauds*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am intrigued by your 'new page.' Will there be credits given to the photos? Any explanations or descriptions? I would have commented on your shiny photo page but I couldn't find a comment box :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...