2.07.2012

Conversations

As I sit here, taking turns between chewing on my toothpick and crunching on conversation hearts (purple, "my love")


I am reminded that Valentine's Day is a week away.



Then I forget and (green, "be true") move on.

(yellow, "miss you")
(white, "yes dear")

(green, I YOU)

I find the most amazing things on Stumbleupon.  Some of them really funny, some of them weird and cool, some of them fascinating.  Some of them I barely look at.

This is one of those really weird/fascinating ones.


Just a few months ago there was a huge red tide, or algae bloom, off the coast of California (near San Diego).

Mother Nature Network:
According to marine biologist Jorge Ribas, the glowing is caused by a massive red tide, or algae bloom, of bioluminescent phytoplankton called Lingulodinium polyedrum. The microorganisms emit light in response to stress, such as when a wave crashes into the shore, a surfboard slashes through the surf, or a kayaker's paddle splashes the water. The result is a wickedly cool glowing ocean.
So yes, that amazing, glowing thing is the ocean.  The real ocean. (pink, "love him") No nuclear chemicals, just some crazy phytoplankton getting their glow on.


(purple, "sweet talk")


That, a photo of a Japanese woman seeing her dog while waiting to get radiation testing, 




and a certain dubstep song have inspired my next Songbird Story, which will be up tomorrow.  All I can say is that it'll be mellow sci-fi and hopefully really cool/fascinating like that red tide (green, "for you") phenomenon.  And, I should probably warn you, I've never been much of a sci-fi writer, so this'll be as much an adventure for you as it will be for me.


I'm curious, readers.  Are you an artist?  What do you do?  Where do you get your inspiration from?  Are you an avid Stumbler and music aficionado?  Do you take long walks on the beach next to the red tide ocean?  Do you get inspired from dreams?  Movies?  Stories?


...I put the conversation hearts away.  Did you notice?

Also, I'm doing unofficial contests, unofficial mostly because they've been only in my head until now, to get this blog and the corresponding Twitter account more followers.  I'm thinking 50 followers for Twitter and 75 for the blog, and once we reach each milestone something will happen.  I will draw names and you guys will win...

Well that's the only problem.  What do you want to win?  Keep in mind that I'm a poor university student, but I can draw and write stories or send you a box of toothpicks or a can of tuna or edit your paper...

Let's figure that out, then make these shindigs official.  Cool?  Cool.


3 comments:

  1. is being a master manipulater of molting metals considered an art? If so, welding is my art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say so. I bet you could weld really cool things... Although I guess pipes and stuff is cool too?

      Delete
  2. Fabricating and welding something from plain steal and having it serve a purpose is a great feeling

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...