1.01.2012

And Now, Not From Times Square

This year, it's not from Times Square.

And really, that's totally cool.  Last year was a blast, it's true.  I had a fantastic time.  You all can go read about it if you want to.  I welcomed in 2011 in style, that's for sure.

But there's something to be said about watching Cowboys & Aliens and as the ending credits roll you realize it's 11:46pm on December 31, 2011.  There's a lot to be said about spending the day with your family, hanging out, playing video games, reading rage comics on Ragestache for literally two and a half hours, watching movies and eating buffalo wings.

That name never made sense to me.  Why buffalo wings?  Of all the animals, including chicken, why buffalo?



Anyway, since I'm sure ya'll are reveling (or recovering), I'll keep this short.  I don't know what sort of traditions your family has or what traditions you're starting to make for yourself for New Year's Eve.  I know that we used to do this whole ceremony type thing, with lighting candles and talking about new years resolutions and eating shrimp cocktail.  As time has passed, we've stopped doing that and started doing things like watching two back-to-back movies and then turning on the TV to watch the ball drop in Times Square.

You know, that place where I was last year at exactly this time.

But really, I don't tell you this to make the point that our family traditions have deteriorated or something.  I'm actually glad to just hang out.

My point was that I have a tradition, maybe a stupid one, but one that I started two or three years ago.  I mentioned listening to my iPod on the train home last year, but what I didn't tell you is that I put it on shuffle and pressed the 'next' button eleven times, for 2011, and that became my unofficial song of the year.

Last year, mine was OOOO by Fishing (you can listen to it here, if you really want to).

It's not like I ever do anything with that song or I listen to that song every morning when I wake up or anything.  It's just...  A reminder, I guess.  I don't know what it is.  It's just a tradition.  Music is important to me, and I felt like I should include it in my NYE somehow.  So, whenever I happen to hear it when I've got my iPod on shuffle, it makes me smile.  Sometimes it becomes an unofficial resolution.  Two years ago, it was Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawewo'ole, and it was my theme song.  Picked me up when I needed it, brought me back down when I needed that too.

I guess that's a good way of putting it.  A theme song.  Theme song of the year.  Reminds me I'm human, of where I've been and where I'm going, whenever the fates decide to let me have a listen.

Do you have any traditions, with yourself or your friends or your family?  How'd you celebrate the new year?

Happy 2012, my friends.  A whole year and more of blogging.  Another year of living.  Be grateful for what you've got; I know I am.

And, you know, if the world really does end this year...

Make 2012 the best year of your life.  Just in case.  :)

2 comments:

  1. So what's the song for 2012?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the 'music tab for 2012's song.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...